Thursday, December 17, 2009

I've been caught

I'm at work right now and I don't want to forget this so I'm writing it right here, right now because it's funny. Well, I think it's funny so if you don't...deal with it? (Yeah, I meant that so I don't know why I questioned myself. Sooooooo...deal with it.)

To start here is some background information:
My office is Antarctica. A constant breeze of cold air blasts down on me from the air vent above my desk. It isn't pleasant. Especially when you type all day long and all you want to do is sit on your hands or stuff them in your armpits to keep them warm. My solution to putting an end to this was simply brilliant. Manila folders and duct tape have never served such a better purpose for me. Now all I hear is that cold air screaming to get out to blow it's misery on me again. BUT HAH! I can stand the wheezing; I turn up the music to drown it out. BAMBOOZLED!

Fast forward to today, I am sitting in my office working away when Maintenance Man comes in with our receptionist (earlier in the month I had stated to her about my office being really cold and yadda yadda yadda). Our receptionist really looks out for us. She had told the Maintenance Man about the cold offices and he was stopping through all the offices to see if the heater was working properly. He walks into my office and says, "Well it seems like it is working, it's pretty warm in here." And right when he says that he looks right at my contraption of duct tape and manila folders covering the air vent. He looks at me and says, "How did you do that?" In reply I say pointing, "Well..., I used that chair." He goes over to the chair whilst saying, "We'd better take that down because that might be the problem to your office being cold." That is a bunch of baloney. He grabs the chair, takes his shoes off, stands in the center of the chair and goes to grab the manila folders and fails. He is about 5 -6 inches from the ceiling. (Here's where it gets a little funny because on that bitter cold day 2 weeks ago I was desperate; I balanced my feet on the arm rests of that chair and taped those folders!!! I knew if I was caught balancing on that chair I'd be in trouble...I had a bad feeling while doing it too. Eeek. But I had my reasons! It was either suffer mild hypothermia or live. ) The Maintenance Man looks down from where he standing and says with a perplexed look and stern voice, "Now how tall are you?" "Tall...", I thought. He had me. I was caught! OOOH no! He stepped down from the chair and laughed a little. He said he wouldn't tell anyone how I got managed to tape the folders up there. I was relieved, yet slightly disappointed. I'm going to freeze my buns off. He left and came back with a ladder. As he climbed up the steps he began to grab the corner of a folder. And...stopped. He brushed his hand across the edges of the taped folder and said surprised, "It is blowing cold air." A-HAH! That was a proud moment for me. He left the folders as is and left bound and determined to fix the heater...


2 comments:

Dan said...

Glad you got your office a little warmer. I'm pretty sure blowing cold air during December is against the 8th amendment. Oh well, sounds like things are fixed. But if not you should get some sweet gloves like these:

http://www.whistlinginthedark.net/knitting/images/fingerless%20gloves.jpg

Cori Shaw, MS, RD said...

I pictured your hands covered in manilla envelopes with tape around it and your fingers sticking out so you could keep typing... but then you later said it was to cover the vent and it made a lot more sense. You're so funny!